Saturday 1 October 2016

Pulse



This is a 2011 novel by Julian Barnes - and I argue that it is his best work. I loved this book, full of small stories centred around the perplexing domestic situation - complete with harmful juxtapositions and psychological abuse, I believe that this (and hopefully as I read "A Sense of an Ending") is Barnes' greatest achievement. 

I found this book from another site actually. I don't remember what site it was exactly because this was back when the book itself had only just come out (we're talking 2011). I was thoughtful on having something a little bit different to read and not only did this book catch my eye - but as I was revising for some 1st year GCSE exams - I wanted something light and not so long. There was a lot of psychological darkness packed into this book - and I believe that Julian Barnes is quite intelligent for having a good understanding of the human mind to be able to produce such things. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Vernon from "East Wind". Yes, I know he's an A-Grade asshole, but he is one of the most interesting characters. He's divorced and he begins new love with a waitress. They way he starts becoming more and more interested in her background you would say, is a bit like a murderer would in a big time assassination. But, he is completely obsessed with her. I like that it shows the parallels between the psychology of love and the psychology of mad obsession. 

Themes:

My favourite theme out of the entire book is domesticity. Stories such as "At Phil and Joanna's" and "Gardeners' World" are perfect examples of this. This is because that they are trifles, one's a dinner party - and many of them, and the other is a couple who can't decide how to decorate their garden. These everyday complications are made darker by Barnes and the psychology of it is explored in much more depth to what the modern reader is used to. Also, these themes are written brilliantly - seriously, you have to read some Julian Barnes before you die. Seriously. 

Storyline:

There are so many good stories in this book. So I'm gonna pick just one. "Complicity" in Part 2 of the book is probably my favourite storyline purely because I love that sense of nostalgia and loss. It is about a lawyer recalling his affair with a young doctor and the emotion in the story doesn't only make you feel it too (right in the feelings). But, it also produces a sense of growing empathy - because these emotions are not unfamiliar to us, they are actually so familiar that we don't even know we are empathising. Julian Barnes creates are feelings and then reflects them directly off the story purely by using words. I love it. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I think that Vernon and Andrea from "East Wind" were my favourites. 

100% for themes: Domesticity and the importance of detail in the everyday world is an amazing skill that Barnes has. 

100% for storyline: "Complicity", "Harmony", "Carcassonne" and "Pulse" are probably the best when it comes to storyline. 


No comments:

Post a Comment