Saturday 1 October 2016

Eileen



Okay, so I bet you're all wondering "she only started it this morning and how did she finish it that quickly?" Well, this book is one of my favourites of the year! So far, it's been a depression ride of high-rise madness and people drowning. This book was something else entirely...

No wonder why it's shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. 

I located this book through university. My lecturer was going on about how great it was and I started off (as always) cynical. "It can't possibly be that good" I would think to myself. She was really making a big deal out of it. (For those of you who attend university with me, it was Kerry's lecture). I became more and more interested as she spoke about it - I gritted my teeth and said to myself "you have enough to read!" 

But, I rarely take my own advice... As Lewis Carroll once said of Alice. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Rebecca. Eileen narrates this novel - but I think that Rebecca really puts the life into her. Rebecca seems like everything Eileen wants to be, but doesn't have the courage of being - the novels pace changes, tone changes and entire outlook changes as soon as Rebecca enters the book. Randy never did that. AAAAAHHHH MY HEART! 

Themes:

My favourite theme was memory. For example, Eileen keeps the memory of her dead mother alive by wearing her clothes - yet finds nostalgia completely un-romantic. I quite like to think that she's purposefully toying with us since the end of the novel is so incredibly romanticised. Oh my God, this could be a problem of character that I actually enjoyed reading. 

Storyline:

Okay, so I was talking about how the pace changes when Rebecca enters the novel. As we can see, the pace continues to change. I mean it speeds up as Rebecca and Eileen begin their "beautiful" friendship. AND WHAT THE HELL ABOUT REBECCA AND LEE, SERIOUSLY? OH MY GOD HOW HARROWING. Anyways, the thing about Rebecca and Lee, I never saw coming; oh my, why do books make me hurt so much?

Verdict:

Thank you Kerry, for giving me a good book to read! 

I give this book not only a 9; but I also hope it wins an award it truly deserves. 

100% for characters: Every character just seemed to fit. Eileen (obviously), Rebecca, Randy, Lee, Eileen's father, Joanie etc. 

100% for themes: The theme of nostalgia and memory is so complex. (Rubs hands together in complete satisfaction). 

100% for storyline: I CANNOT GET OVER THE THING ABOUT LEE! (GASPS IN AIR AS IF HYPERVENTILATING). HELP ME I'M GOING TO DIE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment