Monday 3 October 2016

Told by Starlight in Chad



1) I cannot stress enough how short this book is
2) I HATE THE FACT THAT IT'S SO SHORT! 
3) I wanted it to never end
4) It was enchanting 
5) It was romantic
6) This book is now my favourite book of fables/folklore EVER!

This is a part of my global literature challenge. I hope you enjoy the following review. Please, do not mind that it is quite short - the book is under 80 pages long and IT WAS SO SHORT! WHY DID IT HAVE TO END? 

This is going to structure a bit differently (if you've read my review on October Country you'll know what I mean) 

1) Sultan Sabun 

Okay, so this one was clearly my favourite by a mile! I loved it because it was enchanting and structured so well that every time it Romanticised the natural surroundings - it would balance itself out with the death of something or the death of someone. So sad - so much equilibrium 

2) Nidjema, the Little Orphan Girl 

I didn't fully understand this one - but since I'm only telling you my 2 favourites - this one has to be one of them. I will say that this teaches a good life lesson in which we must go through some sort of pain to come to the virtue afterwards. Since I am somewhat religious (or like to say I am) I understand this. The only thing I didn't understand is why it was so short - these sort of stories take time to tell. But, saying that - I enjoyed the view of folklore in Chad. It was just so... enchanting. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Every character seemed to fit in with the story that was being told - but my favourite character overall was the country of Chad. The Chadian skies! HOW ENCHANTING!!! 

100% for themes: The landscape of Chad was the most intense theme throughout all the stories. I think that using the country of Chad was a great idea and the entirety of the surroundings to add to the storytelling just made you want to cuddle up in bed with a cup of tea and read these out loud to yourself. Sighing now and again. Sighing...Sighing...

100% for storyline: Storyline(s): I thoroughly believe that these are the best folktales I've ever read. So very brilliantly enchanting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment