Wednesday 12 October 2016

Sharp Objects



Of course, after reading "Gone Girl" sometime last year - I almost immediately picked this up on my kindle. Let me just tell you if you thought that "Gone Girl" was good - you're gonna love "Sharp Objects". Gillian Flynn is the God of Modern Suspense - keeping it forever on the edge even when you know that not much is happening. I can say that I did enjoy this more than I did its predecessor. 

I found this book (obviously) along with "Gone Girl" and "Dark Places" sometime during my first year of university. At the moment I'm feeling slightly nostalgic - so put on some old Green Day tracks like "Basket Case" and "Redundant" and let's get into the review, shall we?

Characters:

My favourite character is the journalist, Camille. I think she is so very realistic and embodies that side of everyone that thinks they need psychological assistance but is too scared to ask for it. She is headstrong, yet human - she is brilliantly clever, but doesn't seem to reflect it into her mental health as it descends almost without her realising. When she gets into self-harm; she realises in the years she spends dealing with it. A wonderfully crafted character with an amazing line through physical and metal health. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was the constant comparisons between physicality and mentality. There were suggestions that Camille was physically tact - but mentally there was some sort of gothic undertone to it that made it very, very realistic and very believable. 

Storyline:

My favourite part is probably the descriptions of Camille's mental health. They are so completely raw and energetic - as if they are charged with some electrical current. It is thrilling even when very little is happening and I think that the descriptions in Flynn's literature is always the best way to experience the truly thrilling nature of it :)

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Camille alone is worth 9/9

100% for themes: Physicality and mentality are so streamlined that you get this perpetual comparison

100% for storyline: I think Flynn is very strong in description in this novel - and that's really why I think that it's better than "Gone Girl" - purely because I liked the description more. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment