Monday 10 October 2016

The Light Between the Oceans



Okay, so there was recently a film made about it - so if you don't want any spoilers (since this is a review of the book) - I suggest you turn away now. 

I found this book whilst browsing at the Birmingham Literature Festival and can admit that I read it almost immediately afterwards. It's a war novel (as it is classed, but I would much like to call it an emotional trauma novel) and it has some very enigmatic characters (especially Tom). I mean, there's a massive idealism that keeps underpinning in your mind as the book progresses - this isn't completely fulfilled and that's what makes it emotionally traumatic. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Lucy. When she washes up with a dead man from a boat - Isabel and Tom adopt her (much to Tom's discontent). But, there's a whole backstory to her about how her real parents may still be alive and well. There's a real uncertainty about her family - and when this is proved realistic, Lucy refuses her name "Grace" and runs back to the lighthouse to stay with Tom and Isabel. The trauma she encounters at Tom's arrest and the fate of Isabel are almost too much to bear. Real. Crying. Will. Happen.

Themes:

My favourite theme was probably choice. The amount of choices each character must make and how this leads to Tom's arrest and the adoption of Lucy are huge and change the course of the novel. The twists that are recollected as Isabel breaks connection with Tom after he chooses to give Lucy away to save Isabel from being arrested are almost too much to bear. It was well explored and I loved it very, very much. 

Storyline:

I'm not going to tell you what happens at the end, but give me this moment to cry about it. 

OH MY GOD THE ENDING! I cried so hard when I read that ending! Tom is just so misunderstood and it hurts! I loved the entire book but the ending is what got me the most. 

YOU MUST READ IT TOO!

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I loved Tom, Isabel and Lucy/Grace. They were such complex characters with one simple lighthouse keeping their little world together. 

100% for themes: I think the theme of choice was well deployed - all of it just seemed to fit together. 

100% for storyline: I thought that the storyline couldn't possibly be any better! It was absolutely amazing! So emotional!

No comments:

Post a Comment