Sunday 23 October 2016

Black-Eyed Susans


Crime is not normally my kind of read as I prefer a some larger descriptions - I have to say that this book did impress me and contained all the description in all the right places. I say this is a crime novel, but I think it is meant to be more of a thriller. Seems to me like this book was just the read I wanted to find since I was coping with some anxiety issues at the time. Needed something perpetually engaging to get my mind off it. 

I found this book whilst browsing at the Waterstones at the Birmingham Literature Festival and literally just picked it up off the shelf. I have this thing called "one random read a week" which is where I pick up a book I've never heard of or never seen before and I read it and review it. Like this:


Characters:

My favourite character was Tessa. She was obviously deemed the "Black-Eyed Susan" as she was the only one survivor left from a massacre-like attack by a serial killer. The way in which she is portrayed is not as lucky as that description sounded. She's portrayed as more of a reclusive and reluctant personality with some sort of depression/PTSD and guilt that hangs over her like a black cloud. Truly enticing. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was mystery. I love a mystery now and again, but things just lost their shit when the flowers started growing after the years of the serial killer being behind bars. She couldn't ignore it for long though - they were multiplying and she saw this as a hint that could only mean that she's being hunted. Wow. 

Storyline: 

I did like that the storyline for this thriller wasn't trying to copy James Patterson, or be too clever for itself like the brilliant and beautiful "Fight Club" and it wasn't trying to be a grotesque image of culture destruction a la "Clockwork Orange". It was a very original story with an amazing tone to it - like a voice that was tinged with perpetual misery. Very good usage indeed. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Tessa is a very believable character. She seems very realistic - the person writing this book has obviously done their research 

100% for themes: The main theme being mystery and the symbol of a flower - I really like the Victorian resonance in the modern day. An old idea being brought forward without the need for heavy description and archaic language. But rather a modern look on the whole thing. 

100% for storyline: I think I've fallen in love with Crime/Thriller novels again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment