Tuesday 18 October 2016

The Palace of Illusions



I found this book intriguing as it is not only by a fellow Indian - but it is also a version of events very similar to that of one of our many holy books. Even though I don't consider myself extremely religious in that sense, the way the story is told still beguiles my mind and captures my interest. This novel does the same. It captures and stirs the interest until the very end. 

I found this book as it is one of my reads on my Global reading list - this is something we haven't visited in a long time. 

Also - about the vlog - I'm trying, it's getting there. 

Remember to head over to 5ft2booksale.blogspot.com in order to grab my copies of "IT" by Stephen King and "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Yes, books are being sold at discount prices. But, I need a nice home for them - so we're a playing a game. You and I. 

On with the review. 

Characters: 

My favourite character is the narrator - Panchaali. I think that's how you spell it. Anyways, this woman lives in a stereotypical patriarchal Indian household and world. She is contained yet fierce and perseveres in various styles. Slowly finding out troubling truths - she sets on to marriage from 5 brothers, but none can contain the wild beast within her. She is truly scary - a woman not to be messed with if you don't want your butt kicked. 

Themes:

My favourite theme is secrecy. I loved the whole secret around love - and then the secret about her mysterious friend. There are various secrets involving marriage and children and the past - it's beautifully written and all intertwine. 

Storyline:

My favourite part of the story is when she's getting married. There is a certain 'knowing' in the reader that this is not the end for her - but a new beginning in which she will get her way if it kills her. It's a brilliant narrative told through her own eyes and this first person reveals just how much of a fierce creature she is. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I loved the characters. They were all so real and I could really find a relation in there somewhere even though I'm probably too young to remember what life was like for us back then. 

100% for themes: The theme of secrecy is always a favourite amongst Asian Literature - more so in Indian and Japanese fiction I think. It was brilliant done and so very poetic. 

2/3 for storyline: I wish it was longer. It is a very short read. 




No comments:

Post a Comment