Monday 17 October 2016

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders


As you know, you can head over to 5ft2booksale.blogspot.com and find a great deal on "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman for £4.00 provided the questions are answered - that's cheaper than Amazon by around a few quid. :)

But this isn't an advert - it's a review. So here we go...

I really liked this addition to the Oscar Wilde Murder Mystery series. I love a good mystery - Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, James Patterson and even Stephen King. But, I have to say if you're looking for YA appropriate mystery (which there isn't a lot of) - this set of books is really, really key. 

I found this book whilst browsing in Waterstones - but again, I bought it after I'd read the other three just so I don't look like a crazy kid that has no life....as if I'd want to look like that any day (to which I want sarcasm to look good on typeface, but it doesn't). 

Characters:

Oscar Wilde was the best character. Again. And again. And again. Since it was his birthday I only feel it is appropriate - but it is also correct because he is the most explored character in the whole novel. As we find more out about the villain - we also find more out about Oscar Wilde. 

Themes:

I think the best theme was belief and trust. Obviously we have Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde who trust each other - but in this book trusting one's own instinct is much more prominent. I think that this was probably the most explored theme in the book (it just depends how you read it).

Storyline:

Epic ending. The conclusion to this book was amazing - I really found it quite emotional. There was something very Sherlock Holmes about it. It was brilliant...

Verdict:

I give this book 9.

100% for characters: Oscar and Arthur were both great characters. :)

100% for themes: Belief and trust, mystery, crime and many more made the experience of this novel. 

100% for storyline: Kinda upset that it's over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment