Thursday 13 October 2016

The Trees


This book caught me off-guard. I thought (judging by cover and title) that this would be one of those dark fantasist novels with a fairytale allegiance to them. Nope. Nope. And Nope again. Well, this book was nothing like I had imagined it to be. 

I found this book again whilst browsing in the literature festival and making a small analysis on the tiger on the front cover. It was intriguing to me and I didn't end up buying it until the 4th day I went there. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Hannah. (Well, Hannah and Seb). But, Hannah is a very headstrong character with some real motivation behind her. She's written in quite psychotically and I like it when a character tends to stick out for their belief systems. Especially Hannah's regarding the trees - this is where Seb comes in. He's the one who recruits Adrien into their investigation of the woods that change. 

Themes:

I love the mystery theme of this novel. The whole aspect of mystery is explored so well that you hardly know that you're only one step closer in a mile long track. It happens step by step and it's a brilliant writing style from Shaw. I think it was done amazingly :)

Storyline:

I loved the part where Seb is recruiting Adrien. Not only does it show us how clever Seb is (and how cunning) - but also how manipulated Adrien is. His beliefs systems are quashed and turned into those that suit Seb and Hannah. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: Brilliantly done with an air of certain ambiguity (oxymoron, sorry)

100% for themes: An amazing take on mystery that was effective without being cliché

2/3 for storyline: I want a sequel. And there isn't one. That's why it gets 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment