Tuesday 11 October 2016

The Sellout



I can't say that I think that this book will win - but I can sure say that it may have a chance. Unfortunately, this book was supposed to be a piece of satire and it didn't really work for me. Sometimes I just found the character annoying - or some of the themes were trying too hard - I don't know what it was about this book but I didn't like it as much as I had hoped to. Be that as it may, I still finished it - and here is my (slightly wayward) review. 

I found this book whilst browsing (again) at the literature festival - I came across it near "The Vegetarian" by Han Kang - which someone had picked up and put back in the wrong place. I hate it when people pick things up in a bookstore and don't put them back in their rightful place. Who gave you permission to make the book move from its rightful place in society? 

Characters:

The main character, referred to as "Me" was slightly dodgy. After trying to sell drugs - he tries to reintroduce slave trade and apartheid into his LA community. This proves uneventful (obviously) - but I can't help but wonder why the hell anyone would think this character believable in the first place. 

Themes:

I couldn't get over how hard the theme of satire sounded. It sounded as if the language was just trying too hard for me. I don't know what it was but sometimes I just thought "why am I still reading this garbage?" 

Storyline:

So it's not very long. Also, it's not very good either. I wasn't impressed by the lack of style or charisma or even tension that was in the story. There's no real page-turning moments in it for me. Nothing to make me ask "I wonder what's going to happen" - my best argument was "I hope this book just ends nicely." Nope. Not. Gonna. Happen. 

Verdict:

As you can tell this was a fairly harsh review of one of the most pointless pieces of fiction I've ever read. 

I give this book 2/9

0/3 for character: I just did not like it at all. I couldn't feel the character - I had no sympathy for the character. It was a very empty experience for me.

1/3 for themes: I give it "1" because it started off okay - it was just all downhill from there really. 

1/3 for storyline: I give this "1" because eventually, it did end. Just thanking god it was a short read actually. 

Don't just take my word for it - make sure you read it for yourselves and make your own judgements, dome books aren't everyone's cup of tea and I understand that. Please read the book if you liked this review - it is ultimately worth reading. That's also because there is no such thing as a book that is not worth reading! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment