Thursday 6 October 2016

Work Like Any Other



For a start, I found this book incredibly dull. The characters were good, the themes were okay - but the story was just so slow moving and choppy that I couldn't get into it at all. 

I found this book in my kindle recommendations list and now - I'm gonna expand on why this book just didn't do it for me. (Also, I'm typing this on a computer as my laptop is not around - so if it looks a little different, my apologies)


Characters:

My favourite character was Roscoe. This was not because he was better than any other character, but purely the exact opposite. He was the only character that I could believe could be a real person. Roscoe was (yes) a bit of an A-Grade a**hole at times, but all-in-all he was another perspective to the novel and he did his part quite well. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was the working class and labour. I am gonna say that this was probably the main reason why the book was quite slow moving for me since it went into great detail about what was being done and not enough about the actual story itself. So I'm gonna say that it was well done but a little overpowering for me. 

Storyline:

The storyline was a let down. It was predictable in places and when it wasn't being predictable, it was slow moving and confused. I felt like Roscoe's narrative chapters were the wrong thing to do at times - I would have liked the perspective of a character like Marie or Wilson from time to time and I feel ultimately, that Roscoe's narration (as the book progressed) left out some details or over-explained things that weren't as captivating as the main plot.

Verdict:

I give this book 5/9

2/3 for characters: It was a well done character - Roscoe seems like the only one who I thought was three dimensional at all. 

2/3 for themes: Even though it was slow moving and sort of inconvenient in places - I can truly say that it was explained thoroughly so the reader saw the connections from the theme to the story. Just a little bit much.

1/3 for storyline: Sorry to be so harsh, but it's true. I really couldn't get into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment