Tuesday 25 October 2016

A Brief History of Seven Killings



So this novel I found as interesting and really strong. Brace yourselves for a good review because I thoroughly enjoyed this novel - the characters, themes and storyline are all brilliantly executed and have thorough amounts of explanation. They all play an amazing role in the text and fit together in a really cool way. Especially with all the music references and Bob Marley stuff. 

I found this book in the Waterstones. No I don't live there. No I don't spend every day there. I went there a few times and came out with an empty bank account. Don't leave me, money and bookstore alone. It won't go down well. 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Marley. The character of Marley is intriguing as this central character has all the action happening around him - finding himself in confusions with gangs, race, identity and Jamaican culture - he seeks his own independence in a world that is violently reacting to new movements through its own music and words that redeem it. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was violence. There are so many different types of violence in the novel - first and foremost there's gang violence - the physical kind. This was portrayed so brilliantly by the words in the novel, but then there was emotional violence. The emotional violence was probably my favourite. It was a brilliant reality that wasn't noticed by the majority of people. 

Storyline:

My favourite part of the story is the beginning of it. It starts with beautiful descriptions of Jamaica and the new era. The new music, and anti-generic and anti-exoticised view of a people who are constantly condemned for their skin colour. The time where skin is meant to be appreciated (post-apartheid) is now being fought in and out of its own circles. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Yes, Marley is Bob Marley and it does centre around the attempted assassination of him - it was a brilliant depiction of counter-cultural appropriation :)

100% for themes: They were the most flamboyant and yet the most beautiful things about the novel. 

100% for storyline: Do I have to explain why a book with Bob Marley has a great storyline?

No comments:

Post a Comment