Saturday 22 October 2016

Absalom, Absalom!



This is probably William Faulkner's best novel (IMHO) as it is an amazing effort at the sheer quality of the Southern Gothic era. It represents all the ideas that were later used in books like "The Lonely Londoners" and also in "The Thorn Birds" - truly one of the best novels I've read in my time and a timeless piece of writing. Identity, struggle, redemption and false hope are all working to make the core of this novel that centres itself on an individual who becomes alienated from other characters in a way that you cannot imagine until you read it. 

I found this book as I had read "As I Lay Dying" (another great Faulkner read!) when I was around 15 years old. I read "Absalom, Absalom!" recently and just completely fell in love with the captivating realism of it all (not to mention the hints at PTSD).

Characters:

My favourite character is the protagonist, Thomas Sutpen. I loved the way his identity shaped through the novel and how experiences such as Henry going to university and the impact of the war tainted his lens on life and he became detached from those around him. 

Themes:

As I've kept going on about it: the shift in identity and perception. Ultimately, I kind of felt sorry for Thomas as he couldn't have wished this on himself. He was born into a poor family and went through such realistic downfalls that his immoral actions are almost justified. It's funny how empathy works in the novel. 

Storyline:

The ending. If I could go back and re-read it just to feel the same way I did at the end of the book, I would. It was a tragic, beautiful and shocking end to such as well-written novel. I'm not gonna say what happens at the end but I will say one thing: if you're looking for an American Novel - look to "Absalom, Absalom!" for your next read. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: When we look at the character's actions - especially those of Thomas - we see that there is a requirement for empathy and we end up believe that it is our emotion that is keeping him alive. What a trick of the writer! Well played, Faulkner. Well played. 

100% for themes: I don't think I have ever read a more raw and emotional novel that deals with identity, power struggle, class, time and place. (Applauds).

100% for storyline: Again, I will probably re-read this book - when I feel like I'm forgetting what happened in it. Just so I can recreate those emotions and that cycle of empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment