Wednesday 19 October 2016

Crime and Punishment



I loved this book when I first read it back in Year 10. I was about 14 or 15 when I discovered this great Russian Novel and have continued to read Russian Fiction ever since. 

Obviously, when I was younger - I went to my school library where luckily, they kept a copy of this wonderful book. 

Characters:

I loved Rodion. A tortured and indecisive character with a three dimensional perspective on morality. A great poetic character who is hopeless in his attempts to separate what is "good" and what is "bad". I could go on forever - but since it's supposed to be short, I won't.

Themes:

The theme of morality is always best explored in Russian Fiction. It's so dystopian and twisted. Having great charisma it was an amazing theme and so well done by the author. I pretty much loved the themes of all Russian Novels. 

Storyline:

I really enjoyed the parts of the story that thoroughly discussed the inner-workings of dystopian morality. Also, the parts that concerned this in context of character were the most evolved. Kind of like a Franz Kafka-Nikolai Gogol thing going on there. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I did like them - all of those who discussed morality - the misanthropic Russian characters are the best though. #FamilyIssues

100% for themes: Morality is always a big Russian Novel type. 

2/3 for storyline: It can get a bit heavy at times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment