Monday 3 October 2016

The Glorious Heresies



Okay, so yes it's another Man Booker Nominee - courtesy of the list from my lecturer, Kerry. (Again). This one, she said was "not to her liking" (paraphrased) - unfortunately, it wasn't to mine either. It was okay but I couldn't really find the story that much. There would be long descriptions of amusing background stories you'd get lost in - but overall, the best thing about it was the themes and symbols. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Robbie O'Donovan. Purely because he's the entire mystery of it all! He seems to be a kind young man who means no harm - slowly (as if in a Bret Easton Ellis novel) he transgresses and descends...and then...BAM! He's dead. But how and why will remain unsolved until you read the book. No spoilers here, none at all. 

Themes:

I know this is more of a symbol, but I loved the icon of Cork City. Now, given the fact that Mr.Universe (AKA Cillian Murphy) is from Cork City - I no way endorse that Mr. Murphy is anything like the characters in this novel (actually if given the opinion - he'd be the exact opposite). The symbol of Cork City is a great one because we've got a beautiful town atmosphere with urban sheds of progression. Then the characters that populate it are god awful with drug habits and murders etc. This juxtaposition is so delicious - I love it. 

Storyline:

The storyline was the bit that made me a little unsteady. I couldn't get really into it - as if I felt distant and detached. I don't know, maybe that's how the author wants us to feel - just like all of her characters. Distant and detached. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: Robbie was a brilliantly devised character! So were Georgie, Cusack and Tara. 

100% for themes: This requires the book to get an up-vote

I re-give this book 9 with 4/3 for themes!

2/3 for storyline: I felt a little detached - but not disappointed. That's why it got 2, and not 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment