Friday 21 October 2016

The Castle of Otranto (explicit)


First of all, HOLY SHIT! This was amazing. I didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger - but now - definitely showing the appreciation. So, here we go with one of my favourite gothic stories of all time. 

Christ - this was good and I'm sure that in the time it was written it was an absolute hit! 

Well, the premise revolves around an "unknown" and obviously sparks the whole gothic revival era we get somewhere in the midst of Romanticism.

I'll try to keep it short seeing as the book itself is the opposite. 

I found this book a few years back and there was something about the cover I got that kind of drew me in - I remember it being old and having some sort of shadow on the front of it. Strange and confusing - I just picked it up randomly and now here we are. 

Characters: 

My favourite character is Manfred. This guy is twisted as shit. He wants to end his marriage to his wife and marry the younger Isabella and this is only after his son dies after shattering his skull. Very odd. But probably the best and most diverse character in the whole thing. I also quite enjoyed his wife Hippolita. 

Themes:

My favourite theme is the unknown. Conrad and Isabella are both involved in this and in some ways, so is Manfred. I do enjoy how Manfred finds himself "between" his wife and Isabella. There's a certain disgust that impales you to the story - the constant want for information and clarity. More of a hope for satisfaction. 

Storyline: 

The best part of the story is when Manfred starts to give away his distortion towards his wife. I really quite liked the way in which his love slowly regresses and you get to know his true antagonism. Very, very twisted. Quite scary. Oh my god, such a good gothic. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I really enjoyed Manfred, Isabella, Hippolita, Conrad etc. 

100% for themes: The whole unknown alongside the books of Anne Radcliffe and Mary Shelley, Lord Byron and ST Coleridge. What a brilliant theme that was devised and used in this era to created that sense of dread in the darkness. 

100% for storyline: The whole story is brilliant - I can't just pick one. Read it, it's brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment