Wednesday 26 October 2016

The Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray




So, this was a recommendation after my favourite book being "The Picture of Dorian Gray". This was approached with a certain amount of trepidation but I was quite looking forward to this spin-off read to my favourite novel. I was looking forward to imitated themes and a supposed elaborate storyline. 

I found this book from recommendations and have read it on my kindle. I would like to say there is a certain amount of regret in there - but there is also a certain amount of liking towards the whole intention of the novel. 

Characters:

My favourite character is - and will always be - Dorian Gray. This is not only because of the book "The Picture of Dorian Gray" but because the whole character of Dorian was re-interpreted and all aspects have been well-researched in the follow up to this novel. Trust me, I can tell. 

Themes:

I liked the theme of hedonism. I thought it was a lovely add-on. I also believe that it has only really been explored in film, but not so much in spin-off fiction. I was pretty impressed, but I have to say at first I was a little grossed out. 

Storyline:

There was the beginning when he wakes up and climbs out of the grave - this was an awesomely done image. Execute brilliantly, with not too much concentration, but just enough that we really got a feel that yes, this is a gothic novel - get used to it. So much romantic sass. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: Dorian was executed brilliantly and I think the reflections back on characters like Basil, Henry, Sybil and James were also done really well. 

100% for themes: Having being grossed out at first - I think the theme of hedonism was developed with character reflection in mind. I believe that is what set this theme apart. 

100% for storyline: If Oscar Wilde was alive today and had to write a sequel to "The Picture of Dorian Gray" - it would be this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment