Tuesday 11 October 2016

The Song of Achilles




This book brought tears to my eyes. I was reading it and constantly thinking back to "Aristotle and Dante" and how it all started as a simple friendship. I would say that I enjoyed this novel but that would never be enough now, would it?

I found this book whilst browsing again in the Waterstones shelves of the Birmingham Literature Festival. Yes, I was there again yesterday - and today (but I'm not going on Wednesday...)

I thoroughly enjoyed this so be prepared for a good review (but I'll keep it short because it's already 5 past midnight and I'm missing quality reading time!)

Characters:

My favourite character was Patroclus. There was always a certain ambiguity about his nature - as if you didn't know what the future had planned for him. There were some parts where I was thinking "why? what is he doing?" and then some parts where I was silently screaming and crying to myself because I'm a wimp with no social life.

Themes:

My favourite theme was identity and sexuality. There is a borderline relationship that forms in the story and it makes both characters involved question who they are and what their purpose is. It's a harrowing read emotionally - but you'll make it through!

Storyline:

THE ENDING was the most emotionally harrowing experience you could experience (int theory). There is a whole build of tension towards it and then it's just there waiting to be touched and man-handled. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9 

100% for characters: There was always a sense of dark optimism in each character and I think this is the best aspect of it

100% for themes: The optimism is shrouded by an identity crisis. There is little to improve. 

100% for storyline: The amount of tension just before the end made me was to kill someone. OH MY GOD IT WAS HARROWING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment