Sunday 16 October 2016

The Rotters Club


Okay, so I'm really ill at the moment so forgive me if my posts are incoherent. I've been taking medicine and well - it's 4am and I'm still up from generally being ill. 

This book was really good, had some great characters and themes - the storyline was okay. I feel like some of the storyline got lost sometimes, but it was still there - it wasn't bad.

I found this book again, in Waterstones. So, no surprises there. :) Let's crack on then...

Characters:

I really liked Ben. I know he was the main character - but he just seemed to be the eyes and ears for the entirety of the British 70s for the reader. He experiences things and we experience them too. Ben just seemed like the most incomplete person in the whole book as well - constantly searching for belonging. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was uncertainty. I don't know if anyone else saw it but there was a constant sense of "I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow" that comes from the characters. I really liked this because it made the 70s look very carpe diem and also, it made the characters look almost like so much was going on in their lives that maybe they couldn't care what happened next.

Storyline:

My favourite part of the story is when you realise that the British 70s that these kids are experiencing IS SET IN BIRMINGHAM. HAHAHA my hometown. That was an awesome realisation because I'd been thinking about reading this book for a long time without any prior knowledge about it (I thought the cover was cool). 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I really enjoyed reading about Ben and his friends

100% for themes: There were many great themes in this book - I mentioned one of them

100% for storyline: I said the storyline was okay. The fact it was set in my Brum bunked the marks up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment