Tuesday 25 October 2016

Mrs. Dalloway



I was not a huge fan of this Woolf novel - I thought it was quite overrated and really overstudied. There was something about it that seemed really dull - compared to "Jacob's Room", this book is not quite there. "Jacob's Room" being about the psyche and mortality and love - this does not really come in the same range as that one. 

I have read this book many times. Each time, doesn't get any better. Sorry Woolf fans. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Mrs. Dalloway - even though she is dull, boring and buying flowers, I think it's safe to say that she is the only character we get the conscience of. Which can be really good - or not great at all. Personally, she was only my favourite character because most of the action revolved around her. For what little action there was. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was realism. If I had a dime for every time I said my favourite theme was realism when it wasn't - I'd be a millionaire. But, in this case - it's exactly the same. There's very little to say about it in terms of themes - it just felt quite empty and that's why I thought it was hyper-realistic. 

Storyline:

The ending was the best because that's when we knew the book is over. No, but the best part was the ending - the ending sort of jigsawed all of this realism together and fit it into a bigger picture. 

Verdict:

I give this book 3/9

1/3 for characters: Nope. Can't say I liked them. 

1/3 for themes: So very little of them. 

1/3 for storyline: I can't say it was terribly engaging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment