Tuesday 4 October 2016

A Golden Age




This book is on my global reading list and comes under "Bangladesh". 

I'm trying to hold in my excitement because guess what? WAR OF INDEPENDENCE NOVEL!

It was very, very, very emotional... 

Let's go. 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Rehana. I just loved the way she narrated the very start of the book. "Dear Husband, I lost our children..." (weeps into self). I just can't. She's one of those characters who is up there with Mariam from "A Thousand Splendid Suns". It seemed all so real - as if you were prying into someone else's life. Reading their diary... 

Themes:

War of independence. War of independence. The war of independence was EVERYTHING! Although it didn't go into a lot of detail about the gore of the war - it was always there in the background. And knowing that there's a war going on but not being able to see the full impact I think is more powerful than a full fledged war itself. 

Storyline:

MY FAVOURITE PART OF THE STORYLINE WAS THE END! I won't tell you what happens because my title doesn't say "spoilers". I just want to say that when it says a "heart-stopping ending" on some reviews, don't take it lightly. It is heart-stopping. It. Is.

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I really did feel for Rehana - and comparing her to Mariam is not over-exaggerating. Just. Read. The. Book. 

100% for themes: The theme of the war of independence just made it seem very Les Miserables. So good. 

100% for storyline: Just read it. The ending. Be prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment