Friday 14 October 2016

Oscar Wilde and the Dead Man's Smile


As you know - I previously reviewed "Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders" - same series, different book. Well, this one is even better than the last. There's a massive development of characters and there's also some mention of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (which everyone who knows me knows that I have many, many copies of). 

I did not get this book at the same time that I got the first one (purely because I had not enough money to buy both) - but I bought it when I had finally completed the rest of my reading. I found that it is blue and pink (a good thing if you don't like gendered books). There's a massive sense of foreboding that I love throughout the book (and the way Oscar Wilde is constantly called an Aesthete - which I also love).

Characters:

My favourite character in this book was actually Arthur. We don't get much character development on him in the first book - but in this one there's a real sense of Arthur becoming his own character instead of tagging along with Oscar all the time. Especially the part where they are described as being "special guests" - you really get a sense that Arthur is just as important as Oscar is in solving the crimes (obviously, because Arthur created Sherlock Holmes). 

Themes:

My favourite theme is appearance. A great line in the book:

"Never trust a man who shows his bottom teeth when he smiles." 

Obviously, appearances are very important when you read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "Sherlock Holmes" - just how appearances are used and how they are interpreted are as equally important - but there is always a darkness attached to it - which I love. 

Storyline:

I loved the entirety of this story so it's very difficult to pick a particular point. I'm going to choose the opening. This is because there's no explaining in the opening - there's no massive Victorian-esque introduction. It just gets straight into the story - just like "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "Sherlock Holmes". This author has done his research. (Yes, I know he's very intelligible in Oscar Wilde). 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Am I gonna give it any less? 

100% for themes: Oscar Wilde and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are connected by certain common Victorian themes that Brandreth just writes in effortlessly and brilliantly. :)

100% for storyline: Oscar Wilde and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle solving mysteries in the Victorian Era - need I say anymore? 

No comments:

Post a Comment