Sunday 9 October 2016

Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders



Okay, so now is the day that I have seen it all! A detective novel starring the characters Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde. This is the first on in a series and I am very happy to say that I absolutely loved it!

I found this book whilst browsing in a Waterstones next to the Birmingham Literature Festival. Yes, I'm still there. I'm also working on a book of short and nostalgic prose pieces each with its own deep philosophical meaning. Hopefully, this blog will keep up. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Oscar Wilde. Purely because he wrote The Picture of Dorian Gray (my favourite novel). I really like the way that Doyle spoke about Wilde as if he were a pompous fool at some points - and the fact that Doyle is so opinionated resonates over to the character of Sherlock Holmes. 

Themes:

The theme of mystery is always important. Even if you just happen to mention the name "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" - mystery follows along behind it. The perpetuating sense of mystery in this novel, I feel Doyle would be very proud of. 

Storyline:

I love how it's told through a secondary first person narrative. As you know, the Sherlock Holmes novels also work like this - they are told through the eyes of Dr Watson. Also, I loved the part where they talk about the ghost of John Keats, it is so LITERARY! 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I love Oscar Wilde and I feel he was very accurately portrayed here. 

100% for themes: Mystery, illusion, uncertainty - it all makes for a great piece of detective fiction. 

100% for storyline: Just read about the ghost of John Keats. That part is brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment