Saturday 8 October 2016

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell



As we know, I love books about magicians. So it was only obvious that I'd love this book. It was really good in the way characters, themes and magic was explored in new and innovative ways. Please don't be one of those who shake their head at YA - as you can tell I have been purposely reviewing YA books in hope of changing the minds of those who think they're pointless. 

I found this book in the Waterstones whilst I was at the Birmingham Literature Festival. I have been meaning to read it for so long - and now I have. 

Here we go...

Characters:

My favourite character was John Uskglass. This is because he IS THE RAVEN KING! How much cooler can you get than a RAVEN KING? There is so much secrecy about him in the first two volumes - but in the third we finally get to know who and what he really is. Perfect formation of character. 

Themes:

Yes, my favourite theme was magic. YA novels I think pretty much take magic in very similar ways ever since Harry Potter. But, if you've ever read The Night Circus, Paper Magician or even The Strings of Murder you will be able to see the vast differentiation in the way magic realism is presented. There are many great magic YA novels - and this is one of them. 

Storyline:

The story is split into 3 volumes: "Mr Norrell", "Jonathan Strange", "John Uskglass" - also I respect the fact that Jonathan Strange himself is modelled on one of my favourite people of all time! Well, the storyline progresses in secrecy - and if you see it, you see it. If you don't, you've missed it. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9 

100% for characters: My favourite characters being John Uskglass and Jonathan Strange made the book brilliant for me!

100% for themes: I love magic realism in any form. Especially this one!

100% for storyline: There's a constant sense of confusion - which is prime for secrecy in the novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment