Saturday 15 October 2016

Oscar Wilde and the Murders of Reading Gaol


So, this is the third one in the series and I think it must be the best for exploring the character of Oscar Wilde. It was well executed and included a number of intricately designed levels of tension and suspense (just like Reading Gaol itself).

For those of you who are unaware of "Reading Gaol" or are unfamiliar with the term - it refers to a poem by Oscar Wilde called "The Ballad of Reading Gaol." :) Read it - it's really good. 

I found this book again, a few days after I read the second one. I wanted to leave some time between to recover from the "Dead Man's Smile". Same place though - Literature Festival's Waterstones. 

Characters:

Oscar Wilde, I think was the most prominent and well-explored character in this entire book. Especially this one because it refers to one of his poems. It explores the whole writings of Oscar Wilde in depth and therefore, goes deeper into his character. It was very effective. 

Themes:

The theme of mystery is also the most prominent theme. I know I said this before as well (I think), but I believe that if you include Oscar Wilde and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - you're going to get a really good mystery novel. 

Storyline:

The ending was amazing. The resolution yet it is left open for the next book. A small cliffhanger - some ambiguity but still some resolution that makes the novel satisfying. I'm trying not to tell you what happens - because I want you to read it. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I loved the exploration of Oscar Wilde in this one. Probably my favourite from the series. 

100% for themes: I really enjoyed the theme of mystery and suspense. It was very well done through the entire series.

2/3 for storyline: It just finished a little quickly for me. I would've liked a big epic downfall - but that's all that brought it down IMHO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment