Saturday 1 October 2016

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe


Okay, admittedly - I cried, again. This book was one of my YA favourites, so I decided to give it another read. I just finished it - right now, at 4:15am. Reason? I had one of the worst nightmares of my entire life - I get nightmares a lot. I can't get back to sleep. 

Anyways, this book was as amazing as when I first read it - I was surprised that a lot of the stuff still shocked me as it did - but it really does teach good morals (even though in a shocking way) and the acceptance of friends. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Dante Quintana. A young Mexican boy who becomes friends with an awkward and friendless boy named Ari (Aristotle). After which, there is much more pace and the whole tone of the book changes as Ari narrates darkness into light. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was acceptance. I think we all found out when Dante started crying over the dead bird - but I was never entirely sure until it was explicitly stated in the book. I think it was portrayed perfectly and that there were so many factors involved that you almost felt like you required some of this acceptance as well - just for the book to consider you human. 

Storyline:

My favourite part of the story is where Dante gets hit by a car. So does Ari. It's strange because Ari narrates it as if he wasn't trying to be a hero - but things just "happened". I think that was another thing that led to the "discovery".

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I loved Dante, Ari, Sam, Lilly etc. They all fit so perfectly into the book - but I think that Dante purposefully stood out a little. Very well written characters. 

100% for themes: The theme of acceptance was beautiful - it's nice to see it in a YA novel 

100% for storyline: You just fall in love with Dante's secrets - but the ones that Aristotle keeps are even more inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment