Monday 10 October 2016

My Name is Leon



I had to review this because I bumped into Kit De Waal today and I had no idea what to do. I love this flipping book and I think it's an amazing exploration of identity that can be called a post-modern version of a British To Kill a Mockingbird. A perfect set of characters with amazingly intense themes compacted into a storyline that will leave you with emotions all turned out. I really recommend this read for those of you who love to feel everything. 

I found this book about a week before I came to the Brum Lit Festival - but I feel it right to review it now because I'm actually at the Kit De Waal event - and I had to control inner fan-girl as she was in the Waterstones. (I think the staff saw me kinda keeling over). 

Characters:

My favourite character was obviously Leon. He just seemed so completely in tune with the atmosphere - confused and forced into a world where everything was burning - and then pulled and pushed right back out again. It's almost as if all he's seeing isn't his will to see and you feel a little intrusive at times - it keeps the emotions towards Leon sympathetic and a connection is strongly present. 

Themes:

AH! One of the best modern novels for the theme of identity! Leon's identity and the identity of people around him are constantly challenged, wrecked and turned upside down by rioting and danger, anger and displacement etc. There is identity in every aspect of life from the characters, to the setting to the storyline - everything has an identity. Yet, everything has their identity questioned by everything else. Everything is on fire and it's brilliantly written. 

Storyline:

The riots were my favourite part. I couldn't get enough of the description (and lack of) of the riots. It was so raw and energetic - there's so much charge in it that it almost feels electrical and the heart-pounding ride is intense. It's followed by brutal tranquility and conducted in an image that seems juxtaposed for the reader's pleasure - which is even better. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9 .

100% for characters: Kit De Waal makes perfection a character that will resonate as one of the greatest children's voices I've ever read in literature!

100% for themes: Identity is so strong that it's even in the title. 

100% for storyline: I couldn't help myself - there's just so much in it I had to read it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment