Sunday 2 October 2016

The Magic Toyshop



Okay, so I've literally just finished this - so I want to tell you all about it. In a calm, cool and collective manner. 

I found this book on my Amazon recommendations and just went for it - that was last night, this is now. 

I wanted to feel amazing about this novel after reading The Bloody Chamber (which was incredible) - but this book wasn't legendary like that one. It was still good though. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Finn. Constantly rejected, always last to know. He seems like the most depressed and unloved character in the book. You could argue that he's kind of animalistic, but that's besides the point - I really felt for Finn and well, Melanie was the only person who was truly nice to him. 

Themes:

Magic Realism. That's it. My favourite theme was Magic Realism. If it is there, it will be my favourite theme guaranteed. Well, magic realism is when magic is accepted in the real world as a normal way of life - it is not seen as something extraordinary - just it mostly requires skill, training etc. Just like any other talent. In this book, Melanie's Uncle does this very carefully. 

Storyline:

The beginning is pretty good - but I'm here to talk about the ending. THE ENDING HURTS YOU KNOW! WHAT HAPPENS TO MARGARET! I'm gonna lie down after this ordeal. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for charactersL All the characters were pretty amazing, especially Finn

100% for themes: Two words: Magic Realism

2/3 for storyline: Only because some parts seemed real to me - others, not so much

No comments:

Post a Comment