Saturday 15 October 2016

Hag-Seed


This is THE NEW MARGARET ATWOOD NOVEL! I WAS SO EXCITED AND NOW IT'S OVER AND IT WAS AMAZING. Well, I found this whilst covering my ears from a really, really loud preacher in the Waterstones on Brum High Street. I saw it and immediately screamed "Hag-Seed!" to which I got some weird looks from various people. Oh well, it's a book and I'm excited. So?

Also, it's based on The Tempest by Shakespeare.... EXTRA POINT

Let's just get on to the review then...

Characters: 

My favourite character was Felix. Felix just felt very real and also very Atwood-esque as a character (those of you who have read my reviews on "MaddAddam", "the Year of the Flood" and "Oryx and Crake" will know what I mean!) He was also like the Prospero of the whole thing - and when he decides to put a show of "The Tempest" on - don't you just go "OOOOHHHH! IN YOUR FACE TONY AND SAL!" 

Themes:

My favourite theme is Shakespeare. The theme of Shakespeare was brilliantly achieved by including references to "Hamlet", "Macbeth", "King Lear", "Richard III", "Julius Caesar" and many many more. It was a Shakespeare fan's dream to get so much Shakespeare into a good book. Margaret Atwood has impressed us. 

Storyline:

My favourite part of the book was when he hallucinates about Miranda. I'm not going to tell you who Miranda is - but you already know she's a character from "The Tempest" - well she's someone else as well as that. When Felix hallucinates about Miranda - it's both strange and you kind of feel sorry for him - these are very emotional times in the book that you have to deal with in terms of Felix's psychological instability. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I really liked Felix's character - I think that this could be Atwood's next strong series

100% for themes: I really enjoy Shakespeare - so why wouldn't I enjoy this theme?

100% for storyline: Miranda!!!! FELIX! WHY! WHHHYYYY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment