Friday 30 September 2016

The Thorn Birds




What can I say? 

Okay, this is also from my "Global" reading list. This one is Australia. Let me introduce you to the longest piece of cathartic literature you will ever read. 

This book is tragic and sad, amazing and magical, transient, idealistic, pessimistic and so much more. 

It should probably also come with a warning label. 

It should read: PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION 

Yes, it made me cry. Yes, I'm still upset. Yes, I wanna cry some more. I'm probably gonna go home and have a quiet word with myself and remind myself to spend a little longer on books. 

Let's move swiftly on then shall we? 

Characters:

My favourite character was Dane. DANE! OH MY GOD! The guy who wanted to be a priest much to his mother's discontent at his life of celibacy - but not only that, HIS UNKNOWN FATHER. His mother's affair with a priest gone bishop - but then she stays with her husband for a while to make him believe it's his baby. AND SHE DOESN'T TELL DANE FOR 26 YEARS! OH MY LIFE! WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE DO THAT? 

Themes:

My favourite theme was family and relations. God knows who is related to who in this book. Frank's father? Dane's father? GOD DAMN IT! RIGHT IN THE FEELINGS! I loved this theme because it always seems so far away and then tragedy pulls it back together. WHY A TRAGEDY THOUGH! I DON'T KNOW AND MY HEART IS BROKEN! 

Storyline:

The storyline is vast. complex and magical. Whilst some books are an emotional roller coaster - this one is more like an emotional maelstrom in the centre of the Bermuda Triangle. GOD MY HEART HURTS WHY DOES IT HURT! I will not get over this. Ever. I don't think. Let's just put it this way, I haven't even gotten over The House of the Spirits yet. 

Verdict:

I give this book 10/9

4/3 for characters: I love Dane, Megghan, Frank, Paddy, Fee, Ralph - but I don't really like Justine or Luke very much at all. EMOTIONS! 

100% for themes: Good grief, do we have to go on about family? MEGGIE'S HEART IS BROKEN! IT IS BECAUSE OF DANE AND JUSTINE AND PADDY AND STU AND I CAN'T BECAUSE POOR MEGGIE!

100% for storyline: My heart is broken and I feel like I will never recover. This is the depression stage I'm in. Help me please. (weeps to self quietly). 

No comments:

Post a Comment