Monday 12 September 2016

Shylock Is My Name



A strange exploration of the Shakespearean antagonist of The Merchant of Venice - this book explores the entirety of the theme of jewishness and honour in details I cannot describe here. There was always a certain question of honour than underlined the book - but if you love Shakespeare, you'll absolute adore this epic tale of one of his finest characters. 

When I first read The Merchant of Venice I got many meanings from it at the same time - I must've been around 14-ish and thought that maybe Shylock's Jewishness could be resolved; maybe he didn't have all of his identity stripped from him. But, in this new and exciting tale of the recovery of honour - I think all my questions have been answered. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Beatrice. She goes from strength to strength reflecting at first, Jessica. The woman who is jewish and does not marry a jew. Beatrice has not yet married and is in love with a non-jewish man, much to the discontent of Strulovitch, her father. As Strulovitch meets a strange man in a cemetery by the name of Shylock - Beatrice becomes less like Jessica in her unforgiving natures. 

Themes: 

My favourite theme in this book (I know it's more of a symbol than a theme) - but it was flesh and blood. An extremely famous line from The Merchant of Venice and spoken by Shylock, this line resonates as the perfect symbol of honour. The flesh of a human - the relations and flashbacks to Antonio's trail (4.1) - and even the blood that is spilt. But, saying this, my favourite image of flesh and blood was most probably the dead body of Leah - Shylock's wife. Shylock visits her grave daily and there is constant small hints to the 'cold' and her dead body. It's beautifully poetic and I loved it. 

Storyline:

For those who think this is extended Shakespeare fan-fiction - it isn't. It's an exploration and adaptation of character. It's a story that revolves around the act of forgiveness and honour. It's a story that constantly questions everyone's identity and loyalty and there is no room for compromise. I found it beautifully told and I heavily recommend this to others. 

Verdict:

I give this book 10/9

100% for characters: I loved all the characters in this book - there was so much fine detail to pick out and I loved every aspect of the three dimensional nature of them

4/3 for themes: I don't think anyone could've written better themes in a book that echoes The Merchant of Venice

100% for storyline: It is wonderfully told and has brilliant timing with fine detail and a steady pace which makes it all the more readable. 

All in all, Mr Shakespeare would've been very proud of this if he saw it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment