Sunday 11 September 2016

The Lesser Bohemians



1) This is not gonna be a fully positive review
2) I didn't really enjoy this book as much as everyone said I would
3) The epitome of hipster-lit

I read this book after finding it on Foyles' bookshelves and hearing about it almost everywhere. It was the first time I'd ever read something by Eimear McBride and I can say - I'll still read her stuff - but I just didn't enjoy this one. 

Characters:

I didn't enjoy the narrator, but I did enjoy the kind of travels she went on. There was a certain lacklustre in the way she spoke, something was always missing. But, I couldn't help but not like her. She was just a unlikeable character - purely unlikeable. 

Themes: 

My favourite theme was probably retribution - but it wasn't done the way I wanted it to be. There was almost a constant up and down - which made it completely predictable. There was no shock - there was simply repetition. Over and over again. 

Storyline: 

There was no real emotion in the storyline that I felt compelling or in touch with. There was simply the same things happening over and over again. I probably won't be reading this book again - but I will try other stuff by McBride. 

Verdict:

I give this book 3/9

1/3 for characters: Not very emotive, couldn't get into them. There was a big distance between the reader and the characters (IMHO)

1/3 for themes: I did get the theme of retribution - but not really much else. Not my kind of book.

1/3 for storyline: It was a bit OTT with the ups and downs for me. There was no real relation to the text - there was nothing magical about it. It was trying very hard to be a Murakami. But, it didn't get there. 

I would still recommend reading this if you like the choppy nature of a novel that looks a little post-modernist if ever there was a word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment