Monday 26 September 2016

Algerian White



As part of a "global reading challenge" where I read 80 books from 80 different countries - I will be keeping you updated on which ones are from the challenge and which ones are not. As you may have guessed - this one IS! 

I found this book - well - on the list, I guess. It was under Algeria and I didn't really think twice about where to begin - just took I dive. This book is full of lucid and dreamscape imagery fit for only destruction and is performed poetically (especially for an autobiography). 

Characters:

My favourite character is our narrator - who narrates her autobiography at times of self-destruction and economic change on an international scale. The microcosmic atmosphere of the entire thing encompasses a grand change in war, person and (most importantly) perspective. The thing I loved most about the narration is that it was unsympathetic - and yet packed with emotion.

Themes:

War is explored beautifully in this novel. There are two extremes the author goes to - the first is to talk about themselves and their sublime feelings; whether negative or positive, on their own forces. The second is war - the gigantic scale of the destruction of the country and its people was a beautiful and yet not completely pessimistic narrative. 

Storyline:

It was an autobiography, so I can't really comment on much of the storyline but there were times when I felt some of it was over-exaggerated - maybe for the dramatic purposes of the novel. But there were times when I did feel thoroughly emotionally connected with the novel - but it wouldn't be awarded the 9/9 status just for that. 

Verdict:

I give this book 6/9

100% for characters: I felt the characterisation was quite strong in the novel - but that was based on herself, so brownie point for that. 

100% for themes: I loved the themes in this book - especially the ones based on war. 

0/3 for storyline: The autobiography aspect failed to impress most of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment