Sunday 11 September 2016

The Odyssey



I read this after I read The Iliad and thought that maybe I should've given them a break in between. I was clearly way in over my head and it took me a couple of reads to understand what was really going on. Over the last 5 years I must have read this book maybe 4 or 5 times just to really get to know it and only initially read it because I saw it on my school's library bookshelf - it looked pretty epic to be honest. 

Characters:

Okay, so King Odysseus is my favourite character - the whole aspect of disguise and escape was the best thing about him. He was constantly on the ball and always had a few ideas up his sleeve. His tales from the Trojan War are completely amazing and full of intense description. He makes for a brilliant protagonist. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was family. I loved the fact that when Odysseus came home, he didn't initially introduce himself to his son, but remained in disguise for several hours until finally leaving it and his son still cared about him. It was quite the tear-jerker. 

Storyline:

Now who can forget the arrow through the axes? The iconic scene in which the King in disguise shoots one arrow through twelve axe holes. Ah, it was the most anticipated part of the entire poem and I can say that it was written absolutely beautifully! 

Verdict:

I give this book 10/9

100% for characters: The King was probably the best protagonist out of the entirety of the two books. 

100% for themes: I loved the way family, vengeance and war were represented. 

4/3 for storyline: Ah, the axe scene! But, also - the ending was brilliant and so, incomplete! I loved the cyclical nature of it all and wish to read it again at some point. 


NOTE:
If you have trouble reading The Odyssey please check out this podcast http://literatureandhistory.com/index.php/all-episodes  - it explains everything in great detail and is really fun to listen to! (Episodes 12 and 13) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment