Saturday 10 September 2016

Brave New World



I initially read this book as a part of my dystopian binge in Year 10. This Aldous Huxley book fascinated me and made me recently give it a re-read. I know many are waiting to read this book and are interested in its satirical empire - I'm gonna give a rough overview as to not have any spoilers present. 

At first, I can truly say that this book was one of the wonderful concepts of 30s literature - the themes are probably the most interesting of all. No other book had done this before it and we can argue that it satirises the likes of Fitzgerald and Hemmingway - the whole aspect of chaos and harmony are the speculative points of this work. It is a wonder and a pleasure to read. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Bernard Marx - purely for "sleep-learning". I think the terms "sleep" and "learning" put together are amazing. Jokes aside, Bernard Marx always seems to have philosophical beliefs and convictions to his plans and characteristics - he does not enjoy "sports" (and sports in Brave New World - include things like recreational sex). But, he is in love with Lenina and they have a troubling relationship (oh boy, is it troubling!)

Themes:

As always - my favourite theme was the dystopian state. This dystopian state is extremely controversial: at first, it seems euphoric and utopian, but darker as the book goes on, it reverses a 1984-esque plan of "finding the light" to "fending in the dark" and comes out the other side proving that the essence of chaos for harmony just won't work. More of a political statement by Huxley than anything else. 

Storyline:

The ending to this novel is probably the most awe-inspiring ending of all dystopian literature. That's exactly why I'm not going to tell you how it ends - the ending is the one thing that protrudes darkness as a resonant and captivating initiative over the entirety of the novel. The ending is sombre, dark, miserable and depressing as hell. It is yet brilliant, perfectly-placed and immaculately inspiring. These juxtapositions make it the perfect dark-ending to an imperfect dystopian novel. Please, I beg you to read it - the ending will make all the sense in the world. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9.

100% for characters: I loved the way the characters opposed and interacted with each other, very chaotic yet very organised. 

100% for themes: The themes made this novel and I think that the themes themselves are the most important aspects of it. 

100% for storyline: I love the ending - it has a certain brilliance to it that I cannot describe.  (OH, how well it fits!)

No comments:

Post a Comment