Tuesday 6 September 2016

The Aeneid

Don't worry guys, I'm not gonna just post textbook reviews from now on. 



It is the season of dissertation writing and I would like to share my love of this Epic Roman Poem with you. 

When I first read this, I'm gonna admit, it took its time - but after around 2 or three reads, it's become easier and easier. 

I first came across this book whilst looking for some good poetry to read a few years ago. I loved the sound of one long, brutal and terrifying poem of a guy trying to rebuild a state - whilst fighting a war and falling in love AND trying to prevent death. Oh yeah, he also does something else that is absolutely awesome - he travels to the underworld! 

Characters:

So, as always - I would go with our protagonist Aeneas, but I have to say Dido is my favourite. She features in my dissertation and well, I loved reading and studying her character. She seems like a woman troubled with insane thoughts - ones expected in modern day psychodramas. It's poetically beautiful and she is so tragic that I almost cried. Poor Dido. 

Themes:

My favourite theme throughout the entire poem was redemption. I loved the whole aspect of redeeming and how Aeneas configures himself to rebuild Rome. There's almost a hopeful light in that sense - since there's so much darkness and death surrounding him. It adds that glimmer of optimism that shines its way to the very end of the poem. 

Storyline:

I gotta admit - a lot of stuff took place in that book. There was so much to take it, and yet all of it seemed to fit. Nothing really seemed out of place, everything was in order and there was a massive explosion of emotion now and again. If you ever read this book, (which I suggest you do), you'll find that Aeneas makes brutal and lengthy statements about emotion - and Dido makes this sorrowing monologue. There are intense descriptions of pathetic fallacy and metaphors for different ideologies surrounding the Ancient Roman world - Virgil seriously did well here. 

Verdict: 

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: Even though I though that Aeneas could be a bit whiny at times - I have to say, I loved Dido. 

100% for themes: Redemption, retribution and lamentation were the best themes explored through language devices. I loved them!

100% for storyline: Ah, this has to be my favourite epic verse, the story is so interesting. There's so much in such a short space of time - you couldn't really imagine anyone dealing with that much heartbreak today and still being sane enough to recount it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment