Saturday 24 September 2016

Death in Venice



This is my favourite novel by Thomas Mann and I can truly say that with themes associated with the artistic natures commonly connoted to Venice - this makes for one truly great novel and one of the shining lights of late modernism.

I found this book whilst browsing my kindle store about a year ago, I was already pretty aware of who Thomas Mann was and what he wrote about - having read other books by him including:

- Buddenbrooks 
- The Magic Mountain 
- Joseph and his Brothers
- Dr Faustus

I believe that Thomas Mann's books are some of the most artistic of the late modernist era - including various motifs of narcissism and mystery, Mann's novels are an artistic climax of what is a rejection of art. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Gustav von Aschenbach - he seems to be the most enigmatical of characters. He is cunning and deceitful, yet we kind of feel sorry for him. There is an awry nature that is typical of Thomas Mann and proves successful in character each and every time he does it. 

Themes:

My favourite theme is art. There are many references to the artistic world: whether it be Literature, art, drama or philosophy - there are many references. It comes to serve as that Venetian atmosphere one only really expects of the Renaissance - but instead pulling it out and bringing it into the late modern era is one of those motifs that a reader can hardly ignore. 

Storyline:

Focus on the ending. How ironic, how manipulative and how emotive it is. It is one of those great endings that you only understand how exactly it took place if you read and re-read the book. It is a great example of modernist fiction turning dark and brooding - but trying to retain its own sense of true and hardcore optimism. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I did love the idea of Mann's typical half anti-heroes. 

100% for themes: I just thought that was very clever altogether. 

2/3 for storyline: Only really because I didn't find it as memorable as others of its kind - but still very brooding and thought-provoking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment