Saturday 17 September 2016

Heart of Darkness




The first time I read this book was in the summer of 2011. It was a strange process because I was just trying to find material I hadn't read - I came across this in a bookstore - the penguin classics edition - and picked it up in hopes of s dystopian horror. 

It was something much more cunning than that. 

Joseph Conrad is renowned as one of England's greatest authors - and all because of this? Well, "Lord Jim" was pretty good as well - but I think "Heart of Darkness" requires some extra credit here. Starring the eerily machiavellian - yet heroic character of Marlow, a bunch of sailor's embark on the darkest tale at sea since Herman Melville's stories. I truly thought that this book was amazing. 

Characters:

My favourite characters are Marlow and Kurtz. Yes, two characters. It is impossible to review on without the other and I find it important that I explain the friendship - is it really a friendship? There is so much ambiguity circling their relations that one could believe that they were simply mutual. There are constant language hints and foreshadowings to a tragedy as well (I won't tell you what that is because I really want you to read it!) that fit into the piece perfectly - almost juxtaposing their friendship.

Themes:

My favourite theme was uncertainty. One thing I love about "Heart of Darkness" is that once you figure out one thing - something else moves out of place. Once you think you've understood a character completely, they do something completely out of character. It is a brilliant book - and I think that the themes are one of the foremost important aspects of it.

Storyline:

I constantly read books with amazing endings - but this ending made me really happy. There's a certain twist right at the end of the book that you can only understand if you've followed the friendship of Kurtz and Marlow very closely. Even then, you may miss it. There's a certain slyness that doesn't finish the book - but does. It is both enraging and satisfying - and that's what I love about it. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I think that Marlow and Kurtz have the most enigmatic relation of two sailors in a book. 

100% for themes: Again, the themes make the book.

100% for storyline: Pay very close attention to their friendship. Very close attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment