Thursday 22 September 2016

The Diary of a Nobody



I have to admit that for the Victorian Era, this novel was fairly funny. I quite enjoyed the names and how the novel was put together in a sense of constant misfortune. The characters are quite satirical and the tone quite sarcastic - I did like this change of Victorian Novels from the industrial and gothic, into the satirical and philosophical. 

I found this book when I was about 15 in an aisle at the Walsall Library (for those of you that don't know, Walsall is my actual hometown. Just that nobody's ever heard of it - that's all). Surprisingly, Walsall Library had quite a classics section and I went browsing. Disdained upon already having read the likes of Dickens, Bronte and Tolstoy - I picked up the next book I saw. It was this one. Upon handling it I was unsure about whether I would like it - I can say that it satisfied me enough to read until the end - but unfortunately didn't thrill me like a gothic - or make my thoughts spiral like a philosophical. I was contented. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Carrie Pooter. She seemed like a nice and naive woman at first - but then turned into the Victorian 'type' of an aristocratic man's snobby wife. I found her quite comical and the way she handled the dance scene absolutely hilarious. Her constant disdain with the ironmonger just made her funnier and funnier. I can say I've never met a Victorian aristocratic character that can make me laugh quite as much as Mrs Pooter. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was satire. As it always is in a satirical novel. The constant references to the middle and lower classes make it seem almost like a funny version of an adult Dickens novel. But, the real satire comes off from the character of Charles Pooter - he seems completely aware of the constant and raging misfortune that is brought down upon him, Carrie and their son Lupin as they progress deeper into the novel. It is quite hilarious and the most ironic of satires.

Storyline:

I wish I could talk about the ending forever. But, I really don't want to spoil the book for you. It is a short novel that could only take a day or so to read. I liked the ending because it was both a sense of closure and complete irony. It's like watching a farcical play and then just laughing your head off at the end. It's a simple novel with not much thematic depth - but it does have a sense of rising philosophical question about the class system. Be that as it may - it simply made me giggle at the end. Very funny, and very well written. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9 

100% for characters: It wouldn't have been such a great book if it wasn't for Carrie Pooter. 

100% for themes: Satire in a Victorian style is always nice to read. 

2/3 for storyline: It wasn't the best of the satirical Victorian novels - but it was a great laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment