Sunday 25 September 2016

The Master and Margarita



I am not entirely sure whether I was supposed to find this book funny, so I'll call it witty. Slightly different meanings - but still pointing in that direction. It was pretty impossible for me to take this book seriously when I read it; there were moments where I really couldn't feel sorry for our main character - but instead felt sorry for Margarita. She seemed the most plausible and believable character in this edge-of-delirium ride. 

I found this book in the early days of my first year at university - upon hearing that it was a good read if you needed something light and sarcastically toned, I thought "well, I could do with light." I was not very much surprised by this book - it was average but I can't say that it's one of my favourite novels, probably not even top 30. It wasn't shocking in most ways - but I did find the writing style quite nice and light to read - that is as opposed to The Butcher Boy which (I believe) I was reading alongside this one. (Note: The Butcher Boy was a great book, but I quite preferred the writing style of Breakfast on Pluto. Much funnier). 

Characters:

My favourite character was Margarita. She was completely impassioned, but also completely passionate. I found it funny how she was one of the only characters that you can really track the emotions of - you know that she doesn't like the master, but you see her passion (which is present) diverting somewhere else. I thought that was pretty witty. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was presented through my favourite character - that was passion. There are spurts of passion by other characters, but it is best presented by Margarita. This woman who is in half-belief from the start of the novel, but later on becomes her own identity. Her passion is reflected by her social shift - which I quite enjoyed. 

Storyline:

Oh the storyline was quite difficult to follow at times. Margarita believes the master is dead - this is all in Moscow...writing a book of Jerusalem...1930s....Pontius Pilate... It was confusing at times, but I quite liked the way things weren't really told to the reader, but rather fell into place. Bar that, this novel was well written with a witty undertone to it - something sarcastic to it that I didn't quite capture all the time. Be that as it may, it was a good read. 

Verdict:

I give this book 6/9

2/3 for characters: I liked Margarita, but I couldn't feel anything for the Master - sorry. 

2/3 for themes: Passion wasn't as explored as I wanted it to be - a little underwhelming.

2/3 for storyline: The jumps were a little much for me sometimes. I couldn't grasp some of it - which made me re-read the book entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment