Friday 9 September 2016

Lolita (Explicit)



"Lolita, light of my life - fire of my loins..."

I remember reading this when I was about 15 and thinking "what the actual fuck just happened?" Then, thankfully, I re-read it about a year ago and actually felt something for the characters - I also found out that there is a lot more to Nabokov's writing than we like to think there is. 


Characters:

My favourite character was Humbert. Purely because you start off by thinking that this guy could not possibly get more vile and disgusting - and then you end up feeling sorry for him and almost liking him. All in all, he makes you feel like you need a nice long shower after reading this book because you sympathise with a paedophile. Kinda strange. 

Themes:

My favourite theme is love and sexuality. The idea of sex is explored ad nauseam in this book. Oh yes, that's the idea of sex - and not lacklustre lit like 50 Shades of Grey. This book explores the relation between sex, love and indecency with a twist of passion that makes it so raw and effective. The language skills are not so erotic, but more passionate and psychedelic - which is what makes it such a good book. 

Storyline:

Okay, I'm here to talk about the ending without giving it away. I want you to go away and read this book purely for the ending and because it is so well constructed. There is a certain incomplete nature about the ending that doesn't make it a cliffhanger - but is just enough to keep you emotions pumping excitement through your veins. It leaves you defeated and I can certainly say that this book was a new level of emotional. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: Humbert is a strange - but speculative character

100% for themes: Savagery in passion and love is raw and exciting. Yes, I said it. 

100% for storyline: That ending. You must - READ IT FOR THE ENDING! 


No comments:

Post a Comment