Saturday 3 September 2016

The Turn of the Screw



This, when I first read it back when I was 13 - was the ultimate 'nope' book. It scared the shit out of me. Movies don't frighten me, but tense books can leave me feeling utterly defeated. This book is one of the greatest horror prose pieces I've ever read. I would like to share with you exactly why...

Characters:

My favourite character was the unnamed narrator - he was listening to Douglas intently and it was just so tense. The atmosphere that James created around this character just became more and more intense with the fact that there is no name for our narrator either. The pressure just builds on this character - and therefore, it reflects straight back on to the reader. I loved it. 

Themes:

My favourite theme - of course - was tension and suspense. Miles and Flora created this suspense excellently - with the ghost being possessive and controlling. It was a constant build of "what-if" and there is always a second, more gruesome answer to the argument that James only reveals piece by piece. It's a strange spellbinding prose piece that leaves you feeling controlled and enchanted. 

Storyline:

I loved the possessive storyline. Possessive I mean that it was possessive in itself - there were moments of great possession in which the reader is enthralled. If you read it, you'll know what I mean by possession. There's a great deal of ghostly aura and enchantment in the storyline which makes it impossible to read it on a day-by-day basis. One sitting should do you good. Don't read before bed. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: I loved every character in this book - seems like they were all in on the atmosphere. Even Miles. 

100% for themes: I love suspense and mystery - Henry James just does it so well. 

100% for storyline: There is a massive possession - possession and possession....So very possessive...

P.S - If you're looking to read The Turn of the Screw buy the edition that comes with The Aspern Papers - it's a comedy, it does you good after that possessive read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment