Wednesday 7 September 2016

Satin Island



This book by Tom McCarthy, I only finished around 2 or 3 minutes ago. This book was recommended on a radio interview I was listening to by Cillian Murphy. Since he is one of my heroes, I decided to give it a read. Let me just say that Mr Murphy and I have quaint tastes when it comes to book. But, even though it's not my thing - I did enjoy this read. 

Characters:

I think my favourite character was Petr. He seemed the most ambiguous and had the most mystery about him. I wasn't really intrigued by the narrator so much and the appearances of Madison were slightly lacklustre. I think I felt most for Petr. 

Themes:

The theme of dark city comedy stood out for me. It was evident that there was a mass of city-esque language tinged with dark, comical critiques coming from every direction. I quite liked the way the two were intertwined and juxtaposed in various places. 

Storyline:

I couldn't get into the story at first - but after a while it became apparent that there is a certain amount of procrastination going on with our narrator. There's a lot of waiting to do - but when it finally gets into the story, it becomes more and more intriguing. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I quite like Petr the most but I thought that Madison's appearances at the beginning were slightly lacklustre and she only really came into her own at the end. But, Petr made this score 100%

100% for themes: I liked the mixture of city-esque writing with dark comedy, I can also see why Mr Murphy likes it too. It's very clever. 

2/3 for storyline: Only because it took a while to get into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment