Thursday 15 September 2016

The Call of the Wild



This Jack London book, I remember reading when I started secondary school because I thought that maybe because it was a book about animals - it would be one of those childhood stories that you can really find hilarious. 

Do not be fooled. 

This book was far from hilarious and was actually more of a metaphor for the 'divide and conquer' rule of the British Empire. It's gory and tragic - and the fact that it contains animals just makes it even more upsetting. 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Thornton. He seemed like the father-figure of the group and the one with the greatest amount of courage. A tragic character with all the archetypal hero qualities, he was one character that I felt more three dimensional and emotive than a lot of human characters in books. He was just so heartbreaking that...well, I cried. Big surprise there. 

Themes: 

The best theme, I believe, in this book was nationalism. The fact that natives are killed in the book really stood out for me. The title The Call of the Wild even suggests some sort of savagery in itself. There is a massive question about who is right and who is wrong and why. It's deep and meaningful imagery seem to shock themselves from the page - and only then can we begin to understand. 

Storyline: 

The ending was probably the most important part of the whole book. It seemed like everything just stops and that's it - when really, there is a denouement - there is an ending, but it's so subtle that you don't realise it's happening. Especially with all the heartbreak and emotional tearing up and stuff - that might be a problem. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: Thornton I felt, was the greatest character of them all. 

100% for themes: There is something about savagery and nationalism that makes it seem so realistic. You really need to read it to feel that. 

2/3 for storyline: It was just too short. I wanted it to be pulled out longer so I had time to collect my feelings. Jack London was just like, "well ain't nobody care about your feelings, next chapter!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment