Monday 19 September 2016

Down Station



This book I found whilst searching in Foyles Book Shop in Brum and well - I thought it had a pretty cover and an enigmatic title. That's why I got it. 

Having only heard of the series of books via Facebook and Twitter pages - I recognised it immediately as that very same book. I also researched to make sure it was the first one so that I wasn't cheating! All in all, Down Station was a very good book - and a brilliant fantasy novel. 

Characters: 

My favourite character is Mary. I find her highly relatable. She's volatile, she's courageous, she's outspoken and she's both completely afraid and fearless at the same time. Everything that I am not. (Laughs) Well, Mary is also one of the strangest and most enigmatic fantasy characters I've ever met and you will totally realise that too when you read it. 

Themes:

The most developed theme in this book, I believe, is identity. There is a massive sense of identity in the novel with the differences between the characters. As one of the characters say in the book (and I paraphrase) the only reason that the characters were all brought together is by the common fact that they all didn't die. After this, things get messy with the whole arrangement of the groups because of the identities and personality clashes of the individuals involved. 

Storyline:

My favourite part of the story was the part where Dalip gets captured really got me stunned for a few chapters. I found this book extremely hard to put down - and since I'm still ill, I had all night to read it, and I can say that it did make me feel better. Until it ended... I really liked that book. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9/9

100% for characters: Mary seemed like such a brutal character at times, but I really think Crows changed her moods and the direction of her anger. (And the part with her falling off the cliff ARGHHHH!!! My emotions!)

100% for themes: I love the theme of identity. ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE IS A PUNJABI INVOLVED! I'm probably related to him somehow.... We all are. (Jokes)

100% for storyline: The storyline - I cannot fault it. So much emotion. So much for my heart. I would happily read that book again just to gain the same sensations. 

NB:

Yes, I found a Punjabi in the book! 
Up-vote for having a Punjabi.

I think you've all worked out that I'm Punjabi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment