Saturday 27 August 2016

Vixen



This book was recommended to me by a friend - I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this read as it took me on some great sensational journey through the story of a girl called Violet Tempest. It was a brilliant read with some really moving language techniques - and yes, I saw the equestrian themes...

Characters:

My favourite character was Violet "Vixen" Tempest. She's headstrong and stubborn, she's cold, yet caring - she's happy, yet troubled. So many emotions are encased within one person that M.E Braddon writes brilliantly. I didn't even see how one character could feel so much - but this book pulled it off for me, I really thought her character was very well done. Saying that, it wasn't even over the top - it was always quite balanced and every emotion seemed like a requirement rather than "to add an effect of..."

Themes:

I quite enjoyed the equestrian themes - but I have to say, my favourite was class. I found the whole thing quite classy and effective. There was always a question of morality in the background, as there always is when the Victorian Era is mixed with Class and Lavishness. The extravagant language is extreme to the point of near self-destruction. An emotion read for anyone into the Victorian Era. 

Storyline:

With the life story of Violet Tempest, there's always a linguistic aspect which seems to bump up the interest when the story itself becomes calm. The language and emotional effects that Braddon adds in are harsh and extreme to the point that it seemingly drags out every instinctive humanity in the reader and makes them realise that Violet is more complicated than the average class-bred person. 

Verdict: 

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: I really enjoyed Violet. I think she was a greatly crafted character. 

100% for themes: A brilliant blend of images by a brilliant writer. This book was a real pleasure to read. 

100% for storyline: Violet's life was more fascinating than I thought it was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment