Tuesday 23 August 2016

The Constant Princess




Now, I first read this book when I was in Year 8 - at 13 years old, it was one of the first discoveries into the world of Philippa Gregory's Tudor Court I made. It's a gripping novel with a sentimental love at the bottom of it - but mixed with tragedy, Philippa Gregory creates a novel of betrayal and depression in lamenting love and sudden deaths. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Katherine of Aragon. Bar the fact that in Three Sisters, Three Queens she is called "Katherine of Arrogant" - she sparks a strange characteristic of sympathy in this novel. She is constantly a changing and morphing character, designed to change with the tragedies that accompany her loves. This is why I love this character - she is just written so beautifully, that when tragedy strikes - even the reader feels tragic. 

Themes:

I think it's easy to say that tragedy was my favourite theme in the novel. This book is filled with delicate ideas of tragedy - almost romanticising death and sickness and it concentrates on the everlasting effect that the tragedy has on our protagonist. There are constant flashbacks and remembrances of that particular tragedy whenever the protagonist feels as if history is about to repeat itself. 

Storyline:

I loved the storyline. There's always many intricate details that Gregory puts into her novels that can never be picked up on a first read. There is also a certain amount of patience in the protagonist that the reader has to adapt to if they want to understand the character. The headstrong story of a woman in the Tudor Court is juxtaposed by her public face of remaining calm in tragic circumstances. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9.

100% for characters: I always love how Philippa Gregory writes of Queens of England and Scotland. 

100% for themes: I think that a major theme in all of Gregory's novels is tragedy. It is also one of the most important. 

100% for storyline: The storyline is an amazing continuation of tragedies and betrayals - all happening to Kings and Queens. Something that we don't fully comprehend as they are brought down to common human levels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment