Monday 8 August 2016

MaddAddam (Explicit)






Margaret Atwood is an author I always enjoy reading because she leaves me in a "what the f*** did I just read?" state. She always has these ultra-cool characters: like in Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood and writes so strangely that you can hardly forget her Clockwork Orange-esque speech and dialects. This is a witty dark comedy with some strange uses of themes and linguistic devices. But, on the whole - I think Atwood knows exactly what she's doing when she uses them. 

Characters:

My favourite character in this book was most definitely, Toby. Toby is a woman who seems pretty much confused for the most part of the novel - so I like to relate. Also, I really did like the return of Jimmy, the protagonist of Oryx and Crake - and I still cannot get over the Crakers or Children of Crake (as they call them). Toby is quite defiant in The Year of the Flood and has become a completely new character. 

Themes:

I love the political undertones to this novel. Zeb and Adam One are brothers and that God must've been some political mastermind. Zeb steals his father's files from a computer after becoming a hacker and lives quite a brutal childhood compared to Adam One. All the religious/political satire is just plain amazing! Even though it can be tricky to follow with all the Fucks and stuff (quite literally), Atwood does it well. Not a single Fuck is out of place. (Seriously, read the book and you'll find out why I put a capital letter at the beginning of Fuck). 

Storyline:

Jesus, is this hard to follow. But, I think it's kind of meant to be that way. There's a sort of insanity to it that kind of reflects the neo-political damage in society and the religious sarcasm of the language in the novel. Dark comedy. I like it as I liked Oryx and Crake. 

Verdict:

I give this book an 8/9

100% for characters: Spoiler ALERT! She names a character "Fuck". Really. They have a section of the book and man is it crazy.... 

100% for themes: Political allegory. Dystopian madness. Hahahaha. 

100% for storyline: Thanks to Margaret Atwood, I will never forget the word "Pigoons". 


No comments:

Post a Comment