Tuesday 30 August 2016

The Kingmaker's Daughter



Okay, so I'm reviewing a book I read when it came out - I was 17/18 years old. After which, I tried to use this book as a supplementary text to my A Level coursework. Let's just say it added more words than were physically necessary. Take that a good way - or a bad way. 

But, all in all, I quite enjoyed this book as it was slightly different to other Gregory novels; it was also shorter than what I was used to. 

Characters:

My favourite character was the humble narrator - Anne Neville. The wife of King Richard III, she is also the daughter of the man responsible for King Edward IV's kingship. After failing to secure a marriage to the King (as he marries Elizabeth Woodville) - she shockingly liaises with her father in order to secure her part at Queen Consort. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was the concept of opposition. In this novel there are two sides that you need to understand. The first side: Edward IV, The Earl (Neville) and Anne Neville (Earl's daughter). The second side: Richard the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Clarence etc. After Edward IV marries Elizabeth Woodville - the sides change and The Earl and his daughter (Anne), move over to Richard the Duke of Gloucester's side. Obviously, he becomes Richard III and Anne becomes Queen Consort. But whether the Earl had anything to do with the death of King Edward IV is a mystery. 

Storyline:

I quite enjoyed the power struggle storyline that this gave off. The reason why I said that this was different to most Philippa Gregory novels is because there is a severe lack of loyalty. I'm saying this because in Gregory's novels you can always tell who is loyal to who - and who is not. But, in this novel - the game constantly changes and you have no idea who is going to pull the wool over someone else's eyes, It's strategic almost like a chessboard - and to date, it is one of my favourite novels by Philippa Gregory. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: For the excuse of them being characters that I know of very well from history, I do love the way she brought them to life. 

100% for themes: The strategies of opposition, loyalty and betrayal are things that Philippa Gregory proves that she does better than most. 

100% for storyline: Even though it is shorter than the Philippa Gregory novels that I'm used to - I did enjoy the constant underlying question of loyalty within the storyline. It was quite gripping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment