Thursday 11 August 2016

Atlas Shrugged





Okay, so I finally finished this book last night. For the length of this dystopian epic - I'm gonna try to keep the review short - concentrating on only the main part. Well - the good news is I found out who John Galt was...

Characters:

My favourite character was Dagny - the strong, independent female who frankly does not care what you think of her. She's in charge of the railroad in this dystopian madness and needs a man called John Galt to help her in this communist state where Marxism has definitely gone too far. 

Themes:

The theme of anonymity was my favourite (you thought I was gonna say dystopia? Nope). There was a certain satisfaction in hearing the line "Who is John Galt?" every few chapters. 

Storyline:

I'm really trying not to give spoilers because kudos if you can make it through this huge text. Well, the storyline was probably one of the best things about the book - it had the dystopian destruction that was only otherwise seen in Orwellian Fiction. I don't really enjoy dystopia that much - but here, it was done well. 

Verdict:

I give this book an 8/9

100% for characters: Ayn Rand really got to me with Dagny - especially as she is a headstrong woman that still has very stereotypical female problems

100% for themes: Anonymity has been done brilliant and is interwoven with dystopia almost perfectly. 

2/3 for storyline: It was just so long winded. This is the only reason I knocked off a mark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment